When setting out on any business venture you want to give yourself every chance of success. Whether you are a start up or an established business looking at new opportunities many things will go against you that you can’t control. The key to success is to at least do well the things you can. And that starts with your website design.
Make no mistake no matter what anyone tells you in 99% of cases your website is still your most important digital tool. I hear some people say Facebook pages are but this is complete rubbish. Your website is your shop window to the world and where people find you. It’s a fact that 80% of people now check a business’s website before doing business with them. So not having a good website design is not an option.
The first step in building a website is take responsibility for it. Say to yourself it’s nobody’s fault but my own if it doesn’t end up well. This way you are accepting it could not go well while at the same time making the effort to make sure it does. And making the effort is doing your homework and planning.
The reality is many website developers are not marketers nor are they running your business for you. This is where the problem lies. Many times the business owner thinks the website is the developers problem and the web developer doesn’t care as long as the client signs off and writes the cheque. Also, the developer while being adept at building pages does not have the experience or know to plan marketing and communication strategy which should be at the heart of web design.
Despite the fact I’ve asked business owners to take responsibility for getting their own functional website for me blame lies with the web developer or designer. They are the ones who make a living out of building websites for businesses and they should ensure they know how to do it properly and guide the client. As with any service we buy we have a certain amount of credence that the person doing the job has the required knowledge.
Web developers have to see websites as digital marketing tools and not collages you have to put together with some words in the middle. A website is a crucial business tool and needs to be facilitate the objectives of that business.
1. Website Objectives: Have clear objectives been agreed as to what your business wants to achieve from the website? Your designer should go through this with you.
2. Pre-Design Research: Has pre-design research been done to identify the content and structure needed to be search engine friendly. Have you looked at best industry practice at the way to deliver your service on line?
3. Digital Marketing Strategy: Before you start your website you should think about how you are going to market it after. This can have a huge effect on the features and structure of your site. This should always be agreed with your designer pre design so your website can execute your plans after. It is always preferable your designer understands the marketing environment as they can contribute and guide you through this crucial process.
4. Website Content: Have you been instructed on how to write and structure the content of your website by the design agency to achieve your objectives? At the center of this also is your communication strategy which is crucial to how people interact with your site. This should be clearly defined pre design.
5. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): While content and structure is key to SEO performancehave you been informed of the ongoing process necessary to improve performance. This needs to be established pre design so the site is equipment to process a SEO strategy.
6. Social Media Integration: What role will social media play with your website and is your website set up to engage it effectively?
7. Other Digital Platforms: Is the site being integrated with other digital platforms like email marketing or blogging in line with your digital strategy.
8. Is the Website Mobile Friendly? More people are browsing the internet on mobile than desktop now. So can visitors navigate your site easily on a phone or tablet?
9. Is your site Content Manageable? Is it easy for you to edit content and add pages like blogs etc without having to contact the website designer everytime. This allows your site to freely evolve to your customers needs and for you to feel more in control of your own website.
Follow this simple process and your chances of getting a great website have just increased greatly. If your developer is not cooperating with the process just get another as your obviously heading down the wrong road.
At The Digital Department great website design is what you get. If you need a new website or an upgrade to an existing one in Cork and anywhere in Ireland, see http://thedigitaldepartment.ie/.
Call us today @ +353 (21) 240 9045 in Cork office for free website design consultation.
May 14th, 2018
How to Craft an Effective CRO Strategy for Boosting eCommerce Sale?
eCommerce businesses are at its peak these days. As more and more people prefer to shop online today, you cannot afford to ignore the concept of eCommerce. However, running an eCommerce store successfully is not without a growing pain. You need to create effective strategies, stay updated, and to work hard to transform your small … Continue reading How to Craft an Effective CRO Strategy for Boosting eCommerce Sale?
March 23rd, 2018
Did you know your business could get up to 60% off the cost of a website with The Digital Department?
So how do you do? Currently the Local Enterprise Boards are offering an online trading voucher for 50% off your website up to a cost of €5000. On top of that TDD is offering another 10% to businesses that quality for the voucher scheme resulting in 60% of the cost of your website will be … Continue reading Did you know your business could get up to 60% off the cost of a website with The Digital Department?
March 22nd, 2018
How to Maintain the Relevancy of Your Site in 2018?
Time comes and goes and so as the website development trends. What is trending a few days ago becomes outdated with the introduction of the latest techniques. You need to keep your website functional and beautiful because of two critical business reasons i.e. legal compliance and to enhance the users’ experience. Though you can ignore … Continue reading How to Maintain the Relevancy of Your Site in 2018?
March 14th, 2018
Why Should Motion Design Be the Part of Your Web Design Strategy?
No matter whether you are planning to create a new website or want to remodel the existing one, you will surely want to create a website that can amaze users. No matter how wonderful feature you added to your website, it worth nothing if it cannot be discovered by the users. Only a beautiful web … Continue reading Why Should Motion Design Be the Part of Your Web Design Strategy?
March 07th, 2018
Persuasive UX Design: 3 Psychological Triggers that Work for Your Business
When it comes to designing a website, you cannot ignore the UX of the website. This is mainly because it is the UX which determine how users interact with your website. There are millions of websites available over the web that offer same types of services, but not all of them have the same performance … Continue reading Persuasive UX Design: 3 Psychological Triggers that Work for Your Business
February 20th, 2018
3 Key Factors of Magento Performance Optimization
If you ask which is the most used eCommerce platform throughout the world today? The answers of a lot of people will surely Magento. Magento is used by a large number of eCommerce business giants because of its flexibility, scalability, and user-friendliness. Even though it is one of the most successful eCommerce platforms, but it … Continue reading 3 Key Factors of Magento Performance Optimization
February 02nd, 2018
How to Optimize the Performance of Your Magento 2 Store in Just 5 Easy Steps?
Magento 2 is highly on demand these days for creating an effective and user-friendly online store. This new edition is introduced for streamlining the eCommerce business. But this does not mean that Magento 2 is perfect or do not require optimization. Though there are several areas on which you should work to enhance the perfor … Continue reading How to Optimize the Performance of Your Magento 2 Store in Just 5 Easy Steps?
January 24th, 2018
4 Ways How Web Design Enhance Users Experience
Almost everyone has a good understanding of the role of web design in the internet marketing strategy. As the design of the website plays a vital role in ensuring a good user experience, you need to look at the usability, aesthetics, and other essential factors in order to ensure a long-term online business success. Continue … Continue reading 4 Ways How Web Design Enhance Users Experience