When setting out on any business venture you want to give yourself every chance of success. Whether you are a start up or an established business looking at new opportunities many things will go against you that you can’t control. The key to success is to at least do well the things you can. And that starts with your website design.
Make no mistake no matter what anyone tells you in 99% of cases your website is still your most important digital tool. I hear some people say Facebook pages are but this is complete rubbish. Your website is your shop window to the world and where people find you. It’s a fact that 80% of people now check a business’s website before doing business with them. So not having a good website design is not an option.
The first step in building a website is take responsibility for it. Say to yourself it’s nobody’s fault but my own if it doesn’t end up well. This way you are accepting it could not go well while at the same time making the effort to make sure it does. And making the effort is doing your homework and planning.
The reality is many website developers are not marketers nor are they running your business for you. This is where the problem lies. Many times the business owner thinks the website is the developers problem and the web developer doesn’t care as long as the client signs off and writes the cheque. Also, the developer while being adept at building pages does not have the experience or know to plan marketing and communication strategy which should be at the heart of web design.
Despite the fact I’ve asked business owners to take responsibility for getting their own functional website for me blame lies with the web developer or designer. They are the ones who make a living out of building websites for businesses and they should ensure they know how to do it properly and guide the client. As with any service we buy we have a certain amount of credence that the person doing the job has the required knowledge.
Web developers have to see websites as digital marketing tools and not collages you have to put together with some words in the middle. A website is a crucial business tool and needs to be facilitate the objectives of that business.
1. Website Objectives: Have clear objectives been agreed as to what your business wants to achieve from the website? Your designer should go through this with you.
2. Pre-Design Research: Has pre-design research been done to identify the content and structure needed to be search engine friendly. Have you looked at best industry practice at the way to deliver your service on line?
3. Digital Marketing Strategy: Before you start your website you should think about how you are going to market it after. This can have a huge effect on the features and structure of your site. This should always be agreed with your designer pre design so your website can execute your plans after. It is always preferable your designer understands the marketing environment as they can contribute and guide you through this crucial process.
4. Website Content: Have you been instructed on how to write and structure the content of your website by the design agency to achieve your objectives? At the center of this also is your communication strategy which is crucial to how people interact with your site. This should be clearly defined pre design.
5. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): While content and structure is key to SEO performancehave you been informed of the ongoing process necessary to improve performance. This needs to be established pre design so the site is equipment to process a SEO strategy.
6. Social Media Integration: What role will social media play with your website and is your website set up to engage it effectively?
7. Other Digital Platforms: Is the site being integrated with other digital platforms like email marketing or blogging in line with your digital strategy.
8. Is the Website Mobile Friendly? More people are browsing the internet on mobile than desktop now. So can visitors navigate your site easily on a phone or tablet?
9. Is your site Content Manageable? Is it easy for you to edit content and add pages like blogs etc without having to contact the website designer everytime. This allows your site to freely evolve to your customers needs and for you to feel more in control of your own website.
Follow this simple process and your chances of getting a great website have just increased greatly. If your developer is not cooperating with the process just get another as your obviously heading down the wrong road.
At The Digital Department great website design is what you get. If you need a new website or an upgrade to an existing one in Cork and anywhere in Ireland, see http://thedigitaldepartment.ie/.
Call us today @ +353 (21) 240 9045 in Cork office for free website design consultation.
January 08th, 2018
Is Google’s AMP Really the Future of Website Development?
“Nothing remains constant, all things change”, you will see the example of this beautiful line in different walks of life. For instance, if talking about digital marketing, you will find that the concept of digital marketing has completely changed with the passes of time. The innovation and advancement of technology have drastically changed everything. Website … Continue reading Is Google’s AMP Really the Future of Website Development?
January 02nd, 2018
How Directional Cues Improve Users Experience and Maximize Conversion?
If you want to achieve success in the digital marketing industry, you will surely look for a new way to improve the user experience. The competition in the digital marketing industry is rising like a fire in the forest this is why user experience becomes an integral part of any web design projects to ensure … Continue reading How Directional Cues Improve Users Experience and Maximize Conversion?
December 26th, 2017
How Artificial Intelligence Takes Magento eCommerce Development to The Next Level?
The idea of creating a technology which performs all the operations on the behalf of human being is not new. The innovation of computer and even the introduction of artificial intelligence is one of the best examples of it. In fact, the artificial intelligence is a way smarter than other technologies and the human mind. … Continue reading How Artificial Intelligence Takes Magento eCommerce Development to The Next Level?
December 21st, 2017
How can PSD to WordPress Conversion Benefit Your Business?
If you have to explain web programming in a simple way, how will you do it? Well, the basic concept which most of the professional web developers follow when it comes to design and development of the website is Design + Code = Interface No matter how beautiful layout graphic designers create, it cannot be … Continue reading How can PSD to WordPress Conversion Benefit Your Business?
December 04th, 2017
Conversion Optimization: A New Era of SEO Services
If you in the digital marketing industry, you definitely heard about search engine optimization, but have you heard about conversion optimization? Well, a lot of people have not! So, what is conversion optimization? How is it related to search engine optimization? You need to have good information about this before taking SEO services in Ireland. … Continue reading Conversion Optimization: A New Era of SEO Services
November 27th, 2017
What’s New will You See and Experience in Magento 2.2?
The introduction of Magento 2 has completely changed the way how business owners handle their site a few years ago. Integrated with several innovative, user-friendly, and client-centric features, Magento 2 has gained a lot of popularity in a very short duration of time. In fact, a lot of eCommerce store owners still approach certified Magento … Continue reading What’s New will You See and Experience in Magento 2.2?
November 20th, 2017
Why You Should Not Use Templates for eCommerce Website Development?
If you are considering for building your own online store, you can easily find exactly what you need to build your eCommerce stores like eCommerce development platforms, plugins, and even pre-built templates. When talking about templates, you can find hundreds of pre-built templates which are fast, cheap, unique and beautiful. However, most of the professionals … Continue reading Why You Should Not Use Templates for eCommerce Website Development?
November 13th, 2017
What is Semantic Search and How to Get Benefits from It?
Everyone has enough information about SEO and SEO services. But, what a lot of people forget is that search engine optimization is an ongoing process. What was followed by the optimization of the website a few years ago will surely not work today. The reason because the search engines parameters have changed dramatically, so as … Continue reading What is Semantic Search and How to Get Benefits from It?