When setting out on any business venture you want to give yourself every chance of success. Whether you are a start up or an established business looking at new opportunities many things will go against you that you can’t control. The key to success is to at least do well the things you can. And that starts with your website design.
Make no mistake no matter what anyone tells you in 99% of cases your website is still your most important digital tool. I hear some people say Facebook pages are but this is complete rubbish. Your website is your shop window to the world and where people find you. It’s a fact that 80% of people now check a business’s website before doing business with them. So not having a good website design is not an option.
The first step in building a website is take responsibility for it. Say to yourself it’s nobody’s fault but my own if it doesn’t end up well. This way you are accepting it could not go well while at the same time making the effort to make sure it does. And making the effort is doing your homework and planning.
The reality is many website developers are not marketers nor are they running your business for you. This is where the problem lies. Many times the business owner thinks the website is the developers problem and the web developer doesn’t care as long as the client signs off and writes the cheque. Also, the developer while being adept at building pages does not have the experience or know to plan marketing and communication strategy which should be at the heart of web design.
Despite the fact I’ve asked business owners to take responsibility for getting their own functional website for me blame lies with the web developer or designer. They are the ones who make a living out of building websites for businesses and they should ensure they know how to do it properly and guide the client. As with any service we buy we have a certain amount of credence that the person doing the job has the required knowledge.
Web developers have to see websites as digital marketing tools and not collages you have to put together with some words in the middle. A website is a crucial business tool and needs to be facilitate the objectives of that business.
1. Website Objectives: Have clear objectives been agreed as to what your business wants to achieve from the website? Your designer should go through this with you.
2. Pre-Design Research: Has pre-design research been done to identify the content and structure needed to be search engine friendly. Have you looked at best industry practice at the way to deliver your service on line?
3. Digital Marketing Strategy: Before you start your website you should think about how you are going to market it after. This can have a huge effect on the features and structure of your site. This should always be agreed with your designer pre design so your website can execute your plans after. It is always preferable your designer understands the marketing environment as they can contribute and guide you through this crucial process.
4. Website Content: Have you been instructed on how to write and structure the content of your website by the design agency to achieve your objectives? At the center of this also is your communication strategy which is crucial to how people interact with your site. This should be clearly defined pre design.
5. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): While content and structure is key to SEO performancehave you been informed of the ongoing process necessary to improve performance. This needs to be established pre design so the site is equipment to process a SEO strategy.
6. Social Media Integration: What role will social media play with your website and is your website set up to engage it effectively?
7. Other Digital Platforms: Is the site being integrated with other digital platforms like email marketing or blogging in line with your digital strategy.
8. Is the Website Mobile Friendly? More people are browsing the internet on mobile than desktop now. So can visitors navigate your site easily on a phone or tablet?
9. Is your site Content Manageable? Is it easy for you to edit content and add pages like blogs etc without having to contact the website designer everytime. This allows your site to freely evolve to your customers needs and for you to feel more in control of your own website.
Follow this simple process and your chances of getting a great website have just increased greatly. If your developer is not cooperating with the process just get another as your obviously heading down the wrong road.
At The Digital Department great website design is what you get. If you need a new website or an upgrade to an existing one in Cork and anywhere in Ireland, see http://thedigitaldepartment.ie/.
Call us today @ +353 (21) 240 9045 in Cork office for free website design consultation.
May 23rd, 2017
Is It the Right Time to Call for Website Designers in Cork for Website Remodeling?
Designing a website is not all about graphics and texts. A lot of technicalities, research works, and planning are usually involved while creating an effective, functional, and attractive website. Many people have a misconception that website design in Cork is a one-time investment. But, a website is new only for the time when it gets … Continue reading Is It the Right Time to Call for Website Designers in Cork for Website Remodeling?
May 19th, 2017
4 Website Development Trends Which Will Rule in 2017
With the development of science and technology, the field of website development and design has been increasing at a significant rate. The growth happens at such incredible rates that it becomes tough for the businesses to keep themselves updated with the latest trends or times. Though your website might be working well for you as … Continue reading 4 Website Development Trends Which Will Rule in 2017
May 09th, 2017
Is Investing in Hybrid Mobile Application Design Really Beneficial for Businesses?
In this digital era, mobile marketing is one of the key parts of any business strategy for marking your presence in the web world. When it comes to mobile application design and development, businesses have usually three choices to choose from. You can go native to develop a mobile app for only a single platform … Continue reading Is Investing in Hybrid Mobile Application Design Really Beneficial for Businesses?
April 24th, 2017
Will Voice Search Really Remove the Need of SEO in the Coming Year?
Voice search has a long history than probably you can think. It was first introduced in 2002 though it has been gaining a huge popularity among people with the growing demand for the smartphones. Personal assistants like Cortana and Siri have become more advanced with the passes of time which contribute to increasing the popularity … Continue reading Will Voice Search Really Remove the Need of SEO in the Coming Year?
April 18th, 2017
Things to Avoid During Website Designing in Cork
In this digital era, the first impression matters a lot to draw the attention of the users. It is, therefore, important to create a wow factor in your web pages. Clean, simple, impressive, and engaging are the main mantras to impress the users and compel them to visit your website again and again. Whether you … Continue reading Things to Avoid During Website Designing in Cork
April 11th, 2017
Things You Should Keep in Mind While Using a Video in Website
One of the golden rules which you need to follow for creating an effective and functional website is to not do anything just because they are in trend but because they are good for user experience. The more your will give focus on user experience while design and development of the website, the more successful … Continue reading Things You Should Keep in Mind While Using a Video in Website
April 04th, 2017
Why is Mobile Application Design Important in Today’s Business World?
There are millions of mobile apps and millions of them are in the development process. But, did you ever thought what made mobile apps so popular? Or why businesses are investing in mobile application design or development? Well, this is mainly because the users rely on the mobile apps for doing most of their daily … Continue reading Why is Mobile Application Design Important in Today’s Business World?
March 28th, 2017
Know the Significance of Website Development in The Online Marketing Industry
In this digital era, pretty much everyone depends on the internet for various activities like booking reservations, shopping, job search, and so on. If you want to reach to such a large customer base, what will be other better options than a website development? From designing of web layout to ensuring the smooth and efficient … Continue reading Know the Significance of Website Development in The Online Marketing Industry