When setting out on any business venture you want to give yourself every chance of success. Whether you are a start up or an established business looking at new opportunities many things will go against you that you can’t control. The key to success is to at least do well the things you can. And that starts with your website design.
Make no mistake no matter what anyone tells you in 99% of cases your website is still your most important digital tool. I hear some people say Facebook pages are but this is complete rubbish. Your website is your shop window to the world and where people find you. It’s a fact that 80% of people now check a business’s website before doing business with them. So not having a good website design is not an option.
The first step in building a website is take responsibility for it. Say to yourself it’s nobody’s fault but my own if it doesn’t end up well. This way you are accepting it could not go well while at the same time making the effort to make sure it does. And making the effort is doing your homework and planning.
The reality is many website developers are not marketers nor are they running your business for you. This is where the problem lies. Many times the business owner thinks the website is the developers problem and the web developer doesn’t care as long as the client signs off and writes the cheque. Also, the developer while being adept at building pages does not have the experience or know to plan marketing and communication strategy which should be at the heart of web design.
Despite the fact I’ve asked business owners to take responsibility for getting their own functional website for me blame lies with the web developer or designer. They are the ones who make a living out of building websites for businesses and they should ensure they know how to do it properly and guide the client. As with any service we buy we have a certain amount of credence that the person doing the job has the required knowledge.
Web developers have to see websites as digital marketing tools and not collages you have to put together with some words in the middle. A website is a crucial business tool and needs to be facilitate the objectives of that business.
1. Website Objectives: Have clear objectives been agreed as to what your business wants to achieve from the website? Your designer should go through this with you.
2. Pre-Design Research: Has pre-design research been done to identify the content and structure needed to be search engine friendly. Have you looked at best industry practice at the way to deliver your service on line?
3. Digital Marketing Strategy: Before you start your website you should think about how you are going to market it after. This can have a huge effect on the features and structure of your site. This should always be agreed with your designer pre design so your website can execute your plans after. It is always preferable your designer understands the marketing environment as they can contribute and guide you through this crucial process.
4. Website Content: Have you been instructed on how to write and structure the content of your website by the design agency to achieve your objectives? At the center of this also is your communication strategy which is crucial to how people interact with your site. This should be clearly defined pre design.
5. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): While content and structure is key to SEO performancehave you been informed of the ongoing process necessary to improve performance. This needs to be established pre design so the site is equipment to process a SEO strategy.
6. Social Media Integration: What role will social media play with your website and is your website set up to engage it effectively?
7. Other Digital Platforms: Is the site being integrated with other digital platforms like email marketing or blogging in line with your digital strategy.
8. Is the Website Mobile Friendly? More people are browsing the internet on mobile than desktop now. So can visitors navigate your site easily on a phone or tablet?
9. Is your site Content Manageable? Is it easy for you to edit content and add pages like blogs etc without having to contact the website designer everytime. This allows your site to freely evolve to your customers needs and for you to feel more in control of your own website.
Follow this simple process and your chances of getting a great website have just increased greatly. If your developer is not cooperating with the process just get another as your obviously heading down the wrong road.
At The Digital Department great website design is what you get. If you need a new website or an upgrade to an existing one in Cork and anywhere in Ireland, see http://thedigitaldepartment.ie/.
Call us today @ +353 (21) 240 9045 in Cork office for free website design consultation.
November 13th, 2017
What is Semantic Search and How to Get Benefits from It?
Everyone has enough information about SEO and SEO services. But, what a lot of people forget is that search engine optimization is an ongoing process. What was followed by the optimization of the website a few years ago will surely not work today. The reason because the search engines parameters have changed dramatically, so as … Continue reading What is Semantic Search and How to Get Benefits from It?
November 07th, 2017
4 Simple Tricks to Make Your Website User-Friendly
Have you ever visited a dark dense forest? Just imagine that you are in a dark forest and you do not have a map to find out where you should move or any clue what you should do to get out from this situation? What will be your situation? This is exactly what happens when … Continue reading 4 Simple Tricks to Make Your Website User-Friendly
November 02nd, 2017
What Exactly are Mobile App Development Services?
When you hear about mobile app development services, what do really you think about it? A lot of people usually relates it to the design and development of the mobile app. But, mobile app development is far more than this. The fact is that mobile app development is an ongoing process. If you want to … Continue reading What Exactly are Mobile App Development Services?
October 18th, 2017
The 6 Must Do’s to have a website that generates Business.
Do you want a web presence or a lead generator that makes you money? I’m guessing the latter, Building a website is one thing but building one that performs for your business is another. Putting up random webpages yes gives you a web presence but to get a website that generates leads and makes a … Continue reading The 6 Must Do’s to have a website that generates Business.
September 21st, 2017
Why is Magento 2 Considered as a Great Platform for Mobile Commerce?
There is no denying that M-commerce is on its peak these days. In the past few years, the number of mobile users has reached 100 million. This is why, it is considered as the fastest growing sales channels, and will become the largest in the upcoming years. As the rate of internet surfing is increasing … Continue reading Why is Magento 2 Considered as a Great Platform for Mobile Commerce?
September 14th, 2017
Tips for Designing an eCommerce Store for Mobile-first Customers
In today’s eCommerce industry where 70% of business comes through mobile, it has become important for companies to ready their website for a mobile-first experience. If you too are considering for designing an eCommerce store for mobile, you should have a good understanding of how your customers will view your store in order to create … Continue reading Tips for Designing an eCommerce Store for Mobile-first Customers
August 30th, 2017
How to Design a Website to Improve Conversion Rates?
Sounds so challenging! Isn’t it? Well, it is difficult to ensure good conversation but it is not impossible. With a judicial mix of proper strategies, innovative concepts with modern technologies, you can easily get the results you are expecting from online marketing. Always keep in mind, your visitors can become your customers in the field … Continue reading How to Design a Website to Improve Conversion Rates?
August 16th, 2017
How to Leverage the Benefits of Magento Theme Based Capabilities?
Building a Magento powered eCommerce store surely opens new ways for business opportunities. Magento comprises numerous features which most of the businesses utilize in innovative ways to make maximum money online. In fact, you will leverage a great benefit in your business by simply using the Magento theme based capabilities. Keep reading to know about … Continue reading How to Leverage the Benefits of Magento Theme Based Capabilities?