When setting out on any business venture you want to give yourself every chance of success. Whether you are a start up or an established business looking at new opportunities many things will go against you that you can’t control. The key to success is to at least do well the things you can. And that starts with your website design.
Make no mistake no matter what anyone tells you in 99% of cases your website is still your most important digital tool. I hear some people say Facebook pages are but this is complete rubbish. Your website is your shop window to the world and where people find you. It’s a fact that 80% of people now check a business’s website before doing business with them. So not having a good website design is not an option.
The first step in building a website is take responsibility for it. Say to yourself it’s nobody’s fault but my own if it doesn’t end up well. This way you are accepting it could not go well while at the same time making the effort to make sure it does. And making the effort is doing your homework and planning.
The reality is many website developers are not marketers nor are they running your business for you. This is where the problem lies. Many times the business owner thinks the website is the developers problem and the web developer doesn’t care as long as the client signs off and writes the cheque. Also, the developer while being adept at building pages does not have the experience or know to plan marketing and communication strategy which should be at the heart of web design.
Despite the fact I’ve asked business owners to take responsibility for getting their own functional website for me blame lies with the web developer or designer. They are the ones who make a living out of building websites for businesses and they should ensure they know how to do it properly and guide the client. As with any service we buy we have a certain amount of credence that the person doing the job has the required knowledge.
Web developers have to see websites as digital marketing tools and not collages you have to put together with some words in the middle. A website is a crucial business tool and needs to be facilitate the objectives of that business.
1. Website Objectives: Have clear objectives been agreed as to what your business wants to achieve from the website? Your designer should go through this with you.
2. Pre-Design Research: Has pre-design research been done to identify the content and structure needed to be search engine friendly. Have you looked at best industry practice at the way to deliver your service on line?
3. Digital Marketing Strategy: Before you start your website you should think about how you are going to market it after. This can have a huge effect on the features and structure of your site. This should always be agreed with your designer pre design so your website can execute your plans after. It is always preferable your designer understands the marketing environment as they can contribute and guide you through this crucial process.
4. Website Content: Have you been instructed on how to write and structure the content of your website by the design agency to achieve your objectives? At the center of this also is your communication strategy which is crucial to how people interact with your site. This should be clearly defined pre design.
5. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): While content and structure is key to SEO performancehave you been informed of the ongoing process necessary to improve performance. This needs to be established pre design so the site is equipment to process a SEO strategy.
6. Social Media Integration: What role will social media play with your website and is your website set up to engage it effectively?
7. Other Digital Platforms: Is the site being integrated with other digital platforms like email marketing or blogging in line with your digital strategy.
8. Is the Website Mobile Friendly? More people are browsing the internet on mobile than desktop now. So can visitors navigate your site easily on a phone or tablet?
9. Is your site Content Manageable? Is it easy for you to edit content and add pages like blogs etc without having to contact the website designer everytime. This allows your site to freely evolve to your customers needs and for you to feel more in control of your own website.
Follow this simple process and your chances of getting a great website have just increased greatly. If your developer is not cooperating with the process just get another as your obviously heading down the wrong road.
At The Digital Department great website design is what you get. If you need a new website or an upgrade to an existing one in Cork and anywhere in Ireland, see http://thedigitaldepartment.ie/.
Call us today @ +353 (21) 240 9045 in Cork office for free website design consultation.
July 19th, 2017
5 Reasons Why WooCommerce is the Best Choice for eCommerce Website Development
If you have a WordPress website and you are considering it for creating a unique, user-friendly, and feature-rich eCommerce store, migrating your site to WooCommerce is one of the best options to consider. Introduced as a WordPress plugin, WooCommerce is regarded as one of the best platforms for building a user-friendly, easy to use, and … Continue reading 5 Reasons Why WooCommerce is the Best Choice for eCommerce Website Development
July 12th, 2017
Know How Innovative Website Design will Profit Your Business
The first impression may not be the last impression but it will surely influence the perception of the users regarding anything. When talking about online business, the very first thing which you need to engage and entertain your customers is an innovative, technically advanced, and user-friendly website. As the user experience matters a lot in … Continue reading Know How Innovative Website Design will Profit Your Business
June 28th, 2017
What are the Major Challenges for the Mobile Application Development Industry?
The mobile application development industry has been growing continually since the time of its inspection and will continue to do so in future as well. There are various factors which are responsible for the increasing demands of the mobile application development in Cork. The increasing popularity of the smartphones is one of the major reasons … Continue reading What are the Major Challenges for the Mobile Application Development Industry?
June 20th, 2017
How do Magento Developers help in Building High-Performance eCommerce Store on Magento?
Nowadays, eCommerce stores serve as a great medium for businesses to expand their business reach and get more profits online. Now, users can buy products and book services by simply using their smart devices and thus significantly reducing the chances of losing customers irrespective of the geographic location. As a lot of businesses invest in … Continue reading How do Magento Developers help in Building High-Performance eCommerce Store on Magento?
June 13th, 2017
What is A Progressive Web App and Why it Becomes Vital Today?
Google has been working continually to enhance the web browsing experience for the mobile users. In order to do so, Google has taken several steps to help users in finding virtually any kind of service or product on mobile. If you are running an online business, you must approach professional mobile app developers to keep … Continue reading What is A Progressive Web App and Why it Becomes Vital Today?
June 06th, 2017
5 Website Design Tricks & Tweaks to Boost Conversions
“How to increase conversion on the website?”. You can find numerous blogs and articles on the web related to this title. But, the answer is always the same story in most of the blogs i.e. use high quality, engaging and relevant content. Although, using high quality, engaging, and unique content on the website is quite … Continue reading 5 Website Design Tricks & Tweaks to Boost Conversions
May 23rd, 2017
Is It the Right Time to Call for Website Designers in Cork for Website Remodeling?
Designing a website is not all about graphics and texts. A lot of technicalities, research works, and planning are usually involved while creating an effective, functional, and attractive website. Many people have a misconception that website design in Cork is a one-time investment. But, a website is new only for the time when it gets … Continue reading Is It the Right Time to Call for Website Designers in Cork for Website Remodeling?
May 19th, 2017
4 Website Development Trends Which Will Rule in 2017
With the development of science and technology, the field of website development and design has been increasing at a significant rate. The growth happens at such incredible rates that it becomes tough for the businesses to keep themselves updated with the latest trends or times. Though your website might be working well for you as … Continue reading 4 Website Development Trends Which Will Rule in 2017